Momo: Photo-story of the trip 5th

Click on the picture below to start the photo-gallery

Clicca sulla foto in basso per accedere alla galleria

5Momo – Horta to Plymouth

5TH EPISODE
Time has come again for some action with this Gallery!
As described in Gallery 4 my time in the Azores was quite relaxing. After eight days in Horta we felt ready for setting sail again but by that time the weather was unfavourable. We were heading to the Uk and all Routing publications recommend to head North for some 200M before turning to North-East to avoid any contact with Biscay. But a fresh Northerly wind blew for a couple of days and a departure in those conditions was far from ideal. We did the best we could: wait.
The tenth day early in the morning it was obvious that the wind was slowing down. We started to get ready with no rush. It is my conviction that it does not make much sense rushing for a early morning departure when you set sail for an Ocean passage. It is instead good practise to do your last preparation with concentration, relaxing, really getting yourself into the feeling to be really ready instead of rushing into it. So we bought fresh food and I cooked a nice, big pot of curry to be used during the first two days of navigation so that no cooking is needed. We also had a good shower at the marina a luxury not to be repeated before our next landfall.

At around three pm we approached the Marina office quay, fulfilled our tank and jerry-cans with diesel, paid our bill and finally set sail on a nice Northerly breeze.
I had been recommended not to push hard, beating into wind in case of a steady Northerly. This wind in fact funnels between Horta and the Island of San Jorge breaking any attempt of a close hauled navigation into square tacks.. so I was ready for a B-plan that was sticking our bow in between Pico and San Jorge and heading East during the night.

After about half an hour of sailing the wind calmed down almost completely. “Do you want a coffee?” I asked to Fulvio, thinking about taking a little time for assessing the new situation before taking a decision. “I think it is better not to” he replied. I watched at him, he looked stoned.. it was seasickness coming up! In few minutes after that conversation the new scenario was set: both the wind and my mate Fulvio were gone!
I was alone in the calm windless weather and started to trace my way under engine steering the Momo at the tiller.

The wind did not came up until the day after.
Fulvio did not for four days…

QUINTO EPISODIO
Ok, e’ tempo di restituire un po’ di azione a questo racconto.
Trascorsi otto giorni dal mio arrivo ad Horta, iniziamo a sentirci pronti per ripartire. Ma un vento piuttosto persistente da Nord si stabilizza sulle Azzorre. Nord è esattamente la rotta che tutti i manuali raccomandano di tenere per le prime 200 miglia partendo dalle Azzorre per il Nord Europa al fine di evitare ogni contatto della rotta con il Golfo di Biscaglia.
Inutile affidarsi alle previsioni perche’ si sa, le Azzorre sono il regno dell’incertezza per quanto riguarda il meteo. Non ci resta che aspettare ancora un po..

Due giorni dopo la forza del vento pare mollare. Non e’ ancora certo come si evolvera’ la situazione nelle 200Mg a Nord dell’isola ma pare che di vento contro non ne avremo e tanto basta. Partiamo.
Io sono dell’opinione che quando si salpa per un lungo passaggio non vi siano evidenti benefici nel partire presto al mattino ma anzi è preferibile concentrarsi sui dettagli senza farsi distrarre dall’impellenza di partire. Cosi’, nel giorno della partenza ci dedichiamo a preparativi accurati. Si compra cibo fresco, ci si fa una bella doccia, io preparo una grande pentola di curry in maniera da non dover cucinare nei primi due giorni, quelli in cui si e’ scombussolati per non essersi ancora abituati al passo della barca.

Verso le tre del pomeriggio, con un sole brillante e l’aria non più raffrescata dal forte vento di Nord dei giorni passati, ci appoggiamo alla banchina della Capitaneria, facciamo il pieno di gasolio, sistemiamo il conto e le carte. E’ ora di partire.

Nell’avamporto un venticello teso ci raggiunge da Nord, lascio la barra a Fulvio e il Momo esce a vela con vento al traverso. Ero stato avvertito da John, il canadese di non provare a bordeggiare tra Horta e San Jorge in caso di vento da Nord poiche’ un effetto ‘imbuto’ mi avrebbe costretto a ingloriosi bordi quadri. Cosi, fisso una rotta che ci consenta di passare bene a Nord di Pico e mi rassegno ad una notte tra le luci delle isole, passando tra Pico e San Jorge con rotta Est.
Ma presto il vento molla e Il Momo investito dall’onda residua inizia a rollare. Penso di aspettare che la situazione si assesti prima di rielaborare una strategia, guardo Fulvio, gli chiedo “lo vuoi un caffe’?”… “forse e’ meglio di no” mi risponde, “mi gira un po’ la testa”. Io minimizzo, “ti portero’ un biscotto allora, meglio stare sul secco”… ma di li’ a venti minuti il dramma si consuma, totale: Fulvio e’ steso dal mal di mare!

Il vento non tornerà per tutta la notta ed io, diretta la prua a Nord mi farò una nottata intera di barra.
Fulvio invece non tornerà se non dopo quattro giorni…

Advertisements

One thought on “Momo: Photo-story of the trip 5th

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! There are many ways of travelling, one is to follow this adventure thru its pictures and videos. I do keep dreaming with sailing the Ocean. Grazie Francesco!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s